What does Life By Design offer me?

Follow Me on Pinterest

Wednesday, September 7, 2011

It's Time To Plan That Outdoor Fall Display!

It is time for a scavenger hunt in your yard and your home!  It is just about time to begin planning your outdoor fall displays.  I have been reserved in my outdoor fall decor in the past several years and this year I am going for an explosion theme...  classy explosion theme.  The reason I mentioned a scavenger hunt, is because the fall display is one of the few times we can get away with integrating our broken or old yard items into a display and it actually looks incredible.  In fact, the older the items, the better.



One of my favorite things to do once fall arrives is to drive through the neighborhoods and areas of the beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains and look at all of the farm and yard displays.  It is a great way to get inspired and at times,  thoroughly entertained.  We have all seen some of those good ole' fashioned "Fall Displays Gone Wild!"  I look forward to my adventures this year and I will photograph them and feature the displays in a special blog post.

Some of the top displays that stand out in my mind included old wagon wheels, tractors, vintage wheelbarrows and old yard tools and farming implements.  I have recently seen some of the most beautiful colored squashes and gourds in grays, cremes and pale greens.  I also love the idea of utilizing kale and cabbage.



One of the easiest ways to begin is to start with your main entrance and complete your main entrance before you start on any other locations.  Never place your items on top of a dirty or spider web covered entry!  You are highlighting a focal point on your home and you should sweep all areas above and below to ensure a clean palette on which to place any items.  Trust me, if you spend time and effort to create a warm entry and you have left a large spider web on one of your columns, your visitors are now focusing on your entry display...and the spider web!

Try to stay with a theme and a specific palette of colors for each location.  For example at your entry,  utilize all shades of creme and pale gray gourds and pumpkins with accents of black, titanium, wheat and natural materials like burlap, straw, and tall, thin groupings of wheat.  Then on either side of your garage, integrate another color and element and again in the corner of your yard.



It is all about having fun and using your creativity!  It is also a fun family activity where everyone can get involved and contribute something.  Inspiration is everywhere and I have seen some of the most beautiful photographs in the most recent issue of  "Midwest Living."  Check it out if you get the opportunity!

I would love to hear some suggestions for local and regional sources for any items mentioned above.  If you know of any nurseries, garden centers, flea markets or antique malls that you often visit for these types of items, please share!

Now... start hunting and get out those garden gloves.

1 comment:

  1. I am inspired to get moving.....Now if the painters will only finish the outside I will have a beautiful new backdrop for my fall collection. I hope it looks even better on the new colors of the house. Thanks for motivating me in that direction. Penny

    ReplyDelete

Thank You For Your Comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...