What does Life By Design offer me?

Follow Me on Pinterest

Monday, July 11, 2011

What Do You Mean By Simplify...Exactly?

SIMPLIFY- transitive verb

To make simple or simpler: as  (a) to reduce to basic essentials, (b) to diminish in scope or complexity: streamline and (c) to make more intelligible: clarify


Even after reading Merriam-Webster's definition, simplify will mean something different to you, than to me and to others. The concept of simplicity is not new to us in this green, "Eat-Pray-Love," hgtv, yoga-loving America. I find it interesting that although we are barraged with "zen" concepts, we (yes, I am including myself)continue to acquire more stuff, eat more, and do more multitasking and activities than ever before in my lifetime.

This is NOT a condemnation of this glorious country or capitalism, because I happen to be quite a fan of both. Nor is it a condemnation of new technologies, good stewardship of the earth or eastern culture and medicine, because I appreciate each of these.  This is an observation. I just believe that perhaps the concept of "simplify/simplicity" has been  misused in a lot of ways...and perhaps even hijacked in some.

It is up to us to define it for ourselves, in terms of how it might apply to our lives and then even how it can best serve us.

Simplify is the first word in the tagline of Life By Design for a reason. A balanced life often begins with this concept and the actions one takes in his life to create a sense of order.  Oh and by the way....it doesn't have to be some "out-there" concept that only yurt-loving, vegan philosophers aspire to...it can be very practical.

For me, Simplify has a broad meaning that includes:

  • not overcommitting myself
  • online banking and one credit card
  • small house, less upkeep
  • small yard
  • eliminating "extras" from low priority areas and having what I need, plus some "extras" in my high priority and "fun" areas of my life.


How can you take a small step towards more balance in your life today?  Take a look below at mine.  I just cannot figure out how my make-up and hair products keep growing in numbers? I will have to think about that...hmmmm.






BEFORE







AFTER



One step closer to balance, one step farther away from chaos.  I'll take it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank You For Your Comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...